- Hearty cakes
- Airy ground
- A warm bed of onions and bacon
- A duo par excellence
- Palatinate onion cake
Its name already reveals it: a hearty cake whose topping mainly consists of onions. We know his secrets and the best recipe!
A piece of onion cake has neither glamor nor something handsome. On the contrary! Before we can enjoy it, he asks us first to the tearful fight with onion and yeast. Nevertheless, every year he manages to seduce us with his inner values.
The soil is traditionally made from a yeast dough. Yeast, milk, flour and a few important hand grips - that's all it takes to create a light, easy soil. Also popular: a delicious onion topping on a crunchy-crispy shortcrust pastry.
A warm bed of onions and bacon
Unlike the Tarte Flambée, the onions are not distributed raw, but spread on the ground as steamed rings. An egg-cream-bacon mixture, seasoned with cumin and salt, stops the onion mountain. Even if many have their noses, a pinch of caraway must be. Caraway promotes digestibility and gives the onion cake its incomparable taste.
The mountain of onions has to be cut first. A little tip: a mouthful of water in the mouth to prevent tears. If you like it better, replace some of the onions with spring onions.
A duo par excellence
Popular in late summer and autumn, the onion cake is a welcome guest at German wine festivals. Connoisseurs appreciate its hearty taste in combination with the sweet, slightly tasty note of Federweisser. Best of all, onion cake tastes warm, but it's also a cold treat.
Palatinate onion cake
Ingredients (12 pieces)
300 g flour, 1 tsp sugar, salt, 200 ml milk, 1/2 cube fresh yeast, 35 g soft butter, 800 g onions, 3 spring onions, 250 g smoked and streaky bacon, 1-2 tbsp oil, 200 g sour cream, 3 eggs, pepper, grated nutmeg, 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, flour for the work surface and hands, fat and flour for the mold, aluminum foil
1. Mix flour, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Heat milk lukewarm, crumble in the yeast and dissolve with stirring. Add milk-yeast mixture and butter to the flour mixture. Knead with the dough hooks of the hand mixer to a smooth dough. Cover in a warm place for about 40 minutes.
2. Peel the onions, cut in half and cut into thin strips. Clean and wash the spring onions and cut into fine rings. Finely chop the bacon and leave it in a saucepan. Add oil, heat, and fry onions and spring onions for about 15 minutes. Remove from the stove.
3. Knead the dough well again on a floured worktop with floured hands. Roll out on a floured work surface to a circle (about 33 cm Ø). Grease a springform pan (26 cm Ø) and dust with flour. Put the dough in, while pressing the edge lightly. Let it rest in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
4. Mix sour cream and eggs. Season strongly with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Sprinkle the bottom with breadcrumbs. Press the bottom flat again, spread the onion mixture on it, if necessary pull up the edge again and pour the egg pouring over it. Bake in the preheated oven (electric cooker: 175 ° C / circulating air: 150 ° C / gas: stage 2) on the lower rail for 50-60 minutes, eventually cover with aluminum foil. Remove from the oven, let rest for about 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from the springform, cut into pieces and arrange.