This gym bag looks not only chic, but is very easy to sew and also perfect as a first project for sewing beginners. Have fun with creativity!
That's what you need for the gym bag:
- 0.4 x 0.8m patterned fabric
- Pins or cloth clips
- Tailor underlay and tailor's chalk
- sewing machine
And that's how easy it is:
- Cut as follows (seam allowances are included): From colorful patterned fabric: for the main part: 2 pieces à 38 cm x 37 cm, for the loops: 2 pieces à 4 x 8 cm. Made of plain fabric: lower part: 2 small pieces à 38 cm x 16 cm
- Overcast: Overcast all cut pieces one at a time. It works best with an overlock machine. If you do not have one, take the zigzag stitch on your sewing machine. He does it too.
- Join body and bottom part: Close next the bottom gym bag part to the bulkhead. Iron the seam allowances apart. At this point, you can decorate the seam with a lace border, rickrack or another pretty border. Steppe to the band of your choice from the right on the seam.
- Making loops: Flip the edges of your cut loops lengthwise to the center, iron the edges, and fold the loop back to the center. Steppe then edged off. Flip the loops in half and put them at a distance of 1 -2 cm
to the lower edge on one side of the gym bag part. You can also stitch the loops once before. So they do not slip when sewing. Place the gym bag parts right to right on each other and pin them in places with pins.
- Making loops: Flip the edges of your cut loops lengthwise to the center, iron the edges, and fold the loop back toward the center. Steppe then edged off.
- Attach loops: Flip the loops in half and put them on one side of the gym bag part at a distance of 1 - 2 cm from the lower edge. You can also stitch the loops once before. So they do not slip when sewing. Place the gym bag parts right to right on each other and pin them in places with pins.
- Sew the gymnastic bag with the loops included: start sewing at the top edge, sew to 4 cm and lock well. Put on approx. 3 cm below and sew near the side seam and bottom, taking the loops with you. Close over the loops a few times back and forth, so they do not tear out under load. When you arrive on the other side seam, set 7 cm before the seam ends, leave 3 cm open and close the end.
- Overcast the drawstring: Iron the seam allowances apart and sew the pull-through hole by putting it all around on the seam allowances.
- Sewing the drawstring: Turn the upper edge 4 - 5 cm inwards, iron the edge and stitch the drawstring from the right. ATTENTION: Do not over-calculate the drawstring, because the thick cords need enough space.
- Thread the cord: Cut your cord into two equal pieces and thread them through drawstring and loops. Take a safety pin and attach it to one end of the cord. Then thread one cord once completely through the drawstring and through one of the loops. Repeat this step on the other side. Finally, knot the ends. Ready is your new gym bag!